Defence Minister is Responding

RA Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan has responded to the "Military service on crunches" article at www.new.csi.am/en/hr-reviews/2009/07/03/army. On July 7 he met Ashot Voskanyan who had been serving for more than 13 months on crunches. Based on the Minister's order the soldier was taken to the Ministry of Defense from Vardenis military hospital. The meeting took place in the minister's office with a participation of a number of doctors (head of a military-medical committee, traumatologist). Seyran Ohanyan talked to the soldier himself and showed interest in his health. The minister said that he had found out about this case from internet. He told the doctors that it was obvious that the soldier had a problem with his legs. He gave an order not to take Ashot Voskanyan back to the military unit and send him to Yerevan central hospital for medical treatment. In case of an effective treatment Vokanyan will continue his military service in the hospital or will stop his service. At this moment the soldier is in Yerevan central hospital under the control of the doctors.

19 year old Ashot Voskanyan was impressed with his meeting with the minister and repeated continually "He was a very good person".

Soldier's parents Vardan and Knarik Voskanyan express their gratitude to the Defense minister and expect his supervision over the full treatment of their son, particularly because the problem with boy's legs was raised as a result of a call to military service.

Zhanna Aleksanyan

P.S. Everything starts from the call to military service that affects further life during the military service. The call to military service should be in the focus of the Minister of Defense and strict oversight over the military units should be established. Minister may not be aware of such outstanding cases only in exceptional circumstances. Another case came out just few days ago. Parents got their son's dead body one week after he went to the military service. Ill soldier was called to the military service. Who will be hold accountable for that? High rank officers of the Ministry of Defense are beyond the law and they never are brought to justice.